Community

IN BRIEF …

Gazette to be closed Jan. 21 The offices of the Mariposa Gazette will be closed on Monday, Jan. 21, in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr., Day. All deadlines for the newspaper remain the same, including classified advertising, which will be due by noon on Tuesday, Jan. 22. Also, any obituary information can be delivered to the newspaper by 10 […]

Give thanks for helping others

PASTOR’S CORNER

Allison ByerleyI have an older dog who is in “puppy hospice.” She has terminal kidney disease, and I know one day in the not-too-distant future, I will have to let her go. I know from experience how difficult and sad that time will be. This time of year often reminds me of all I have loved who have passed away. […]

Card of Thanks

We would like to take this opportunity to thank four Mariposa businesses that really put the sparkle in our Christmas. We know how lucky we are to live in Mariposa, but sometimes we get a very pleasant reminder, such as Tim at Mariposa Sign & Print. We had an idea for a sign as a Christmas present for friends. Tim […]

IN BRIEF …

Monthly bingo this Friday Everyone over 18 is invited to Golden Agers Bingo at the Senior Center on Spriggs Lane on the first Friday of each month. The Golden Agers Bingo offers pull tabs and big pots. Doors open at 4:45 p.m. Bingo starts at 6:15 p.m. The snack bar at the center offers baked potatoes, all beef hot dogs […]

Good person, bad theology

PASTOR’S CORNER

Wynter Sturtevant IIISince my ordination as pastor/elder of Mariposa Reformed Baptist Church, I have noticed a certain conversation that I frequently have. I’ll normally be asked the usual “getting to know you” questions and I’ll reveal that I am a pastor. The mood of the conversation changes. It does not change to anger if you were thinking that. I must […]

IN BRIEF …

Chamber to host coffee event The next “Friday Coffee” gathering is set for Dec. 28. The monthly event, sponsored by Main Street Mariposa, will be at 8:30 a.m. at the Mariposa County Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber is located at 5158 Highway 140 which is on the southwest corner of the four-way stop in Mariposa. The event is for local […]

Where, when, for whom are you willing to bleed?

PASTOR’S CORNER

Allison ByerleyNow that NFL fans are thinking about the playoffs and, ultimately, the Super Bowl, I thought a football story would be in order. Darryl Hill was the first African-American to play football for the University of Maryland in the early 1960s. He received a great deal of abuse from fans throughout the South, but he was especially shocked by […]

Card of Thanks

The Mariposa County 4-H Council had its annual Achievement Night and Silent auction on Oct. 21 at New Life Christian Church. Many awards were handed out to youth members and leaders. This year the Mariposa County 4-H recognized the Most Dedicated Community Members to the 4-H program they are Mariposa Feed, Bootjack Feed, Gallaway Feed, Brandon and Jaime Bertram and […]

Category Pages are limited to 60 days. Please use the archive page or the search box to find older articles.