2013-09-12 / Front Page

Flames gut 75-year-old home

A 1930s-era residence on Tavis Road in the Bootjack area was almost totally destroyed in a fast-moving structure fire on Sunday, Sept. 15. One pet dog was singed in the incident, but the homeowner escaped.

Homeowner Betty Wilson experienced minor injuries in the fire, but was treated at the scene and released.

The house was approximately 800 square feet and was a total loss. The loss was placed at $120,000 to the home and $60,000 to contents.

Read the Sept. 19 MARIPOSA GAZETTE for more on the fire and the Mariposa County Fire Department's response.


An electrical short started the blaze that destroyed this home on Tavis Road on Sept. 15. Firefighters managed to save family photo albums, however. Photo: Mariposa County Fire DepartmentAn electrical short started the blaze that destroyed this home on Tavis Road on Sept. 15. Firefighters managed to save family photo albums, however. Photo: Mariposa County Fire Department

Return to top

EDITOR'S NOTE: The pet was

EDITOR'S NOTE: The pet was singed, as in lightly burned. There were no fatalities in the fire.

Singed? What an awful choice

Singed? What an awful choice of words! My heart goes out to Mrs. Wilson and the pet that has perished during this unfortunate event!

Singed is a proper use. The

Singed is a proper use. The dog is fine, his fur got singed. He did not perish.

I believe the word "singed"

I believe the word "singed" means some of the dog's hair was singed but the dog survived? Hope so anyway.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
Click here for digital edition
2013-09-12 digital edition